Running start to holiday
▪ More than 25,000 runners and walkers are expected to take part in the 23rd annual Run to Feed the Hungry race that begins on J Street west of the entrance to Sacramento State. The run benefits the Sacramento Food Bank & Family Services. The 10K event begins at 8:15 a.m., while the 5K starts 9 a.m. Race routes go mainly through East Sacramento, but the 10K stretches several blocks into midtown before returning to East Sac. There will be road closures from 6 to 11:30 a.m. For more information, including a list of road closures, go to http://sacb.ee/7XF1.
▪ The Folsom Turkey Trot begins its 10K race at 8:50 a.m. and the 5K at 9:10 a.m. The event is sold out to participants, but residents can watch the race, which begins and ends at Folsom Lions Park/Rodeo Park, 403 Stafford St. The race benefits the Twin Lakes Food Bank and Never in Our Town Youth Scholarship. Go to www.folsomturkeytrot.com for more information.
▪ The Elk Grove Turkey Trot is a 5K/10K race. The run starts and finishes at 8280 Longleaf Drive and benefits Courage House. The 10K begins at 8:10 a.m. and the 5K at 8:15 a.m. Go to http://courageworldwide.org/couragerun/elk-grove-turkey-trot for more information.
▪ The eighth annual Running of the Turkeys race starts and finishes in historic Heritage Plaza, 600 Main St., in downtown Woodland. The 5K run and walk begins at 8 a.m. and benefits the Yolo Food Bank. Go to www.runningoftheturkeys.org for more information.
▪ The Roseville Turkey Trot 5K/10K course begins and ends at Vernon Street Town Square, 311 Vernon St., in downtown Roseville. The event, which benefits recreation programs for at-risk youths, is sold out to participants. Go to www.roseville.ca.us/events/turkey_trot.asp for more information.
▪ The sixth annual Turkey Trot for Teal benefits the nonprofit Strong as Steele Cancer Foundation. The 3.1-mile walk/run/jog begins at 8:30 a.m. at the Herald Community Center. Go to www.active.com/herald-ca/running/distance-running-races/turkey-trot-for-teal-2016 for more information.