Moviegoers were evacuated from the Century Laguna 16 theater in Elk Grove on Sunday afternoon because of a suspected natural gas leak, according to fire officials.
“We were watching a movie when the lights came on and a woman came in and said we needed to leave and go to the far corner of the parking lot, as far away from the building as possible,” said Ann Hennessey, who was watching “The Post” at the theater.
The theater was evacuated as a precaution because of a natural gas odor, according to Deputy Chief Michael McLaughlin of the Cosumnes Community Services District Fire Department.
Theater employees met people in the parking lot and handed out rain check vouchers while the firefighters inspected the building, Hennessey said.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
PG&E has been called to the scene, McLaughlin said.