Good morning. Here’s what you need to know today, Saturday, May 16:
Temperatures in the 70s
The weather in the Sacramento area will stay seasonably cool today, with high temperatures expected to reach 76 degrees, according to the National Weather Service. The high Sunday is forecast to dip to 74 degrees under partly sunny skies, the weather service reports.
Rodeo time for electric utility lineworkers
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
More than 300 electric utility lineworkers from across the nation will compete today at the 15th annual American Public Power Association Lineworkers Rodeo. The free event begins with a 7:30 a.m. opening ceremony, followed by the competition at 8 a.m. at Gibson Ranch Park, 8556 Gibson Ranch Road in Elverta.
Pow Wow Days parade in Orangevale
Orangevale’s annual Pow Wow Days celebration continues today with a 9 a.m. parade starting at Main Avenue and Greenback Lane that will head west on Greenback to Filbert Avenue. At 11 a.m., there will be carnival rides, vendors, food and more at 7301 Filbert Ave.
Things to do
▪ All things agriculture will be celebrated Saturday today at the Farms, Friends and Fairytales event at Fairytale Town. There will be animal introductions, hands-on activities with local farms and organizations, and more at the event, scheduled from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. at 3901 Land Park Drive in Sacramento. The program is free with paid park admission.
▪ The eighth annual International Festival, featuring cultural music, dance and other demonstrations, is planned from 5 to 9 p.m. today at Village Green Park, 3141 Bridgeway Drive in Rancho Cordova. There will be food trucks at the iFest.
▪ The KCRA Health and Wellness Festival will feature television’s Dr. Oz and his nonprofit HealthCorps. Also planned are the Sacramento Kings Dancers, a teen chef competition and meditation workshops. The festival runs from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. today at the Roseville Galleria, 1151 Galleria Blvd.
▪ The Hangtown Classic, known as the grandaddy of motocross racing, takes place Saturday today at the Prairie City State Vehicular Recreation Area, 13300 White Rock Road in Rancho Cordova. The opening ceremony will begin at 12:25 p.m., followed by pro motos in two classes.
▪ Cal Expo’s Satellite Wagering Center will open at 9 a.m. today in advance of the Preakness Stakes horse race from Baltimore. The second leg of racing’s Triple Crown, the Preakness is scheduled to start at 3:18 p.m.