Good morning. Here’s what you need to know today, Saturday, May 23, 2015:
Warm weekend forecast
Sunshine and warmer weather are in store for the Memorial Day weekend, according to the National Weather Service. The holiday weekend will have high temperatures near 80, forecasters said. The brighter, warmer weather will continue through the Monday holiday, with temperatures in the low 80s and mostly clear or partly cloudy skies.
Holt to receive honorary doctorate from Sacramento State
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Sacramento Bee
Sacramento State President Alexander Gonzalez will officiate at his final graduation ceremonies today at Sleep Train Arena, where NBC News anchor Lester Holt will receive an honorary doctorate. Holt also will speak at the commencement ceremony for the College of Arts and Letters, where he enrolled after graduating from Cordova High School in 1977. Today’s commencement schedule: College of Health and Human Services, 8:30 a.m.; College of Engineering and Computer Science, noon; College of Business Administration, 3 p.m.; College of Arts and Letters, 6 p.m.
Special adoption fee for animals today, Sunday
Sacramento County’s Bradshaw Animal Shelter is offering a special $25 adoption fee for any animal in its care during the Memorial Day weekend. Pet seekers can choose among dogs, cats, rabbits and chickens, said spokeswoman Kimberly Nava. The special $25 adoption fee, in effect through Sunday, covers the cost of licensing, vaccinations, spay or neuter surgery, and microchipping. The shelter, at 3839 Bradshaw Road, will be open from noon to 4:30 p.m. today and Sunday. It will be closed Monday.
Things to do
- First Festival, an all-day concert featuring 18 Sacramento bands, 40 vendors and 11 food trucks, noon to 10 p.m. at River Walk Park, 651 Second St., West Sacramento.
- Sacramento Music Festival, Day 2 events at various venues in Sacramento; begins at 11 a.m.
- International Kids Festival, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., Land Park amphitheater
- Sacramento County Fair, 10 a.m.-10 p.m., Cal Expo. Highlights include bull riding.
- Greek Food and Wine Festival, 5 to 10 p.m., St. Anna Greek Orthodox Church, 1001 Stone Canyon Drive, Roseville.
▪ Sacramento River Cats vs. Memphis Redbirds, 7:05 p.m., Raley Field.