Watch the fire from gas line rupture that led to evacuations in Citrus Heights
A gas line rupture Thursday morning in a Citrus Heights neighborhood sent flames shooting into the air and forced the evacuation of 20 homes for several hours.
The fire on the 8300 block of Amsell Court erupted when contracting work that involved digging ruptured a gas line and caused a spark, which ignited the gas leak, said Capt. Chris Vestal of the Sacramento Metropolitan Fire District.
All evacuations were lifted in the afternoon, Vestal said. At least one home and one vehicle had received minor exterior damage due to radiant heat, he said, adding the flames didn’t spark a larger fire to any adjacent structures.
Pacific Gas and Electric crews arrived at about 10:30 a.m., gas was shut off to the immediate area, and the fire was extinguished about 11 a.m., Vestal said. A spokeswoman for PG&E said gas service had been restored to all but three homes, and those homes were expected to be reconnected by morning.
A SMUD line worker who was working to repair an electrical connection to a street light around 10 a.m. suffered “apparent burn injuries” when the fire erupted, said Chris Capra, a spokesman for SMUD. Vestal described the worker’s injuries as “non-critical” and the worker was taken to a hospital; Capra said the worker was “conscious and communicative.”
The Folsom Police Department and Citrus Heights Police Department assisted in the emergency response, Metro Fire said.