Picture perfect day for holiday
Daytime temperatures around 80 are forecast for this Memorial Day in the Sacramento area, according to the National Weather Service. Those highs will climb slowly as the week progresses, and nighttime temperatures will dip to about 53 degrees.
The clouds that may show up bring no promise of precipitation in the Sacramento area, although scattered thundershowers are predicted for Truckee and other areas of the Sierras, according to the NWS.
Breezes of about 10 mph are expected Monday and Tuesday in the Sacramento area.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Sacramento Bee
Memorial Day services and ceremonies
Memorial Day honors men and women who died while serving in the U.S. military. It began in the years following the Civil War and became an official federal holiday in 1971. Following is a listing of Sacramento-area Memorial Day events:
- Auburn, 9 a.m., New Auburn Cemetery, 1040 Collins Drive
- Citrus Heights, 10:30 a.m.-noon, Sylvan Cemetery, 7401 Auburn Blvd.
- Dixon, 9 a.m., Sacramento Valley National Cemetery, 5810 Midway Road
- Elk Grove, 10 a.m., Elk Grove Cemetery, 8540 Elk Grove Blvd.
- Fair Oaks, 11 a.m.-noon, Mount Vernon Memorial Park, 8201 Greenback Lane
- Folsom. 11 a.m., Lakeside Cemetery, 1201 Forrest St.
- North Highlands, parade begins at 10 a.m. at Family Community Church, 6331 Watt Ave.
- Placerville, 11-12:30 p.m., El Dorado County Veterans Monument, 360 Fair Lane
- Rancho Cordova, 9:30-11:30 a.m., Sacramento VA Medical Center/Veterans Memorial Plaza, 10535 Hospital Way
- Rocklin, 11 a.m., Rocklin Cemetery, 4090 Kannasto St.
- Roseville, 11 a.m., Roseville Cemetery, 421 Berry St.
- Sacramento, 10 a.m., Firehouse Lot, Old Sacramento
- Sacramento, 11 a.m., East Lawn Memorial Park, 4000 Folsom Blvd. Scheduled speakers include Rep. Doris Matsui, D-Sacramento, and City Councilman Jeff Harris.
- Yuba City, 7 a.m.-9 p.m., War on Terror Memorial, 2620 Colusa Highway
Things to do
▪ Wounded Veteran Run 3K, 5K, 10K, 8 a.m., Folsom Parkway Trail, starting behind the plaza at 25005 Blue Ravine Road, Folsom
▪ Sixth annual Vettes for Vets and American Muscle, a display of Corvettes and American muscle cars, a Color Guard and an original “Huey” helicopter, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., California Automobile Museum, 2200 Front St., Sacramento
▪ Sacramento County Fair, 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. at Cal Expo, 1600 Exposition Blvd., Sacramento. Today is Military Appreciation Day.
▪ Sacramento Music Festival, Day 4 events at various venues in Sacramento, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
▪ Discovery Museum Science & Space Center invites children to craft a patriotic windsock, 12:30 to 4 p.m., 3615 Auburn Blvd., Sacramento. Half-price admission for active and retired military personnel.
▪ Sacramento River Cats vs. Nashville Sounds, 1:05 p.m., Raley Field.