Local

Sacramento Zoo closing to visitors in response to coronavirus, some staff will remain

The Sacramento Zoo will be closed to visitors through the end of this month as California and local officials try to slow the spread of coronavirus, which causes the respiratory illness COVID-19.

The temporary closure was announced Friday afternoon on the Zoo’s website. The zoo will remain closed at least through March 31. Zoo officials said the decision was made to close “out of an abundance of caution” and in accordance with state guidelines. The closure began at 5 p.m. Friday.

Earlier this week, Gov. Gavin Newsom urged Californians cancel or postpone events with more than 250 people, while smaller gatherings should space people at least 6 feet apart to avoid spreading coronavirus.

There will be a limited number of essential staff, including animal care, veterinary teams and zoo security, who will continue to work as usual, zoo officials said. These employees are needed to maintain the health and well being of the animals, along with securing the zoo.

Zoo officials said they will continue to monitor, re-evaluate and follow the directives and guidance of the Sacramento County Public Health Department, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the World Health Organization.

“We understand that the temporary closure may pose an inconvenience for zoo visitors, and we apologize for any disruption in plans this may cause,” according to the online announcement from the zoo. “We will continue to update our website and social media platforms regularly as this situation evolves.”

Rosalio Ahumada
The Sacramento Bee
Rosalio Ahumada writes breaking news stories related to crime and public safety for The Sacramento Bee. He speaks Spanish fluently and has worked as a news reporter in the Central Valley since 2004.
Get one year of unlimited digital access for $159.99
#ReadLocal

Only 44¢ per day

SUBSCRIBE NOW