Local

Katie Valenzuela recall notice rejected by Sacramento. Her critics can try again

Sacramento City Councilmember-Elect Katie Valenzuela, District 4, poses for a portrait outside the Gordon D. Schaber County Courthouse, after following a hearing inside on Friday, July 31, 2020, in Sacramento.
Sacramento City Councilmember-Elect Katie Valenzuela, District 4, poses for a portrait outside the Gordon D. Schaber County Courthouse, after following a hearing inside on Friday, July 31, 2020, in Sacramento. xmascarenas@sacbee.com

The city of Sacramento has determined the paperwork filed to recall Councilwoman Katie Valenzuela is deficient because of a technical mistake, delivering a setback to the group that wants to begin collecting signatures to remove her from office.

City attorneys found the document omits information that state law requires to be described in so-called notices of intention to circulate a recall petition.

The group seeking to recall Valenzuela, Safe Neighborhoods and Parks of Sacramento, can re-file the notice and again serve Valenzuela with the paperwork.

Recall advocate John Morales did not return a phone call seeking comment.

City attorneys separately are still investigating who can participate in a recall election targeting Valenzuela.

Her district changed this year after the city’s one-a-decade redrawing of election boundaries. She now represents downtown, midtown and East Sacramento. Previously, she represented downtown, midtown and Land Park.

The city has not yet determined whether the signatures to recall her would need to come from her old or new district, Assistant City Clerk Wendy Klock-Johnson said.

Morales, who served Valenzuela with recall paperwork earlier this month, lives in East Sacramento. Residents in that neighborhood have been raising concerns about Valenzuela in recent weeks.

Valenzuela was considering opening a safe parking lot for homeless people who live in vehicles at Sutter’s Landing Park, next to the border of East Sacramento.

She dropped that proposal because it would have required approvals from several government agencies, but many in the neighborhood remain upset with how she’s handling the homeless crisis.

Last weekend the group held a “mimosa brunch” in McKinley Village to discuss “protecting our families and homes from encampments and voting for City Council representation.”

If the city determines East Sacramento residents can’t sign the petition, it’s possible Land Park residents would still be willing to do so. Last year, before redistricting, residents sent out surveys and made phone calls regarding a potential recall effort, Valenzuela said.

If Valenzuela is served again, she will formally respond, and then the group will get the opportunity to file papers with the city and collect signatures.

If the group moves quickly and collects thousands of signatures, the recall could be on the Nov. 8 ballot. The recall election would show two questions, one asking whether Valenzuela should be recalled and the other asking who should replace her. Candidates who want to replace Valenzuela would be listed under the second question.

This story was originally published March 30, 2022 at 1:41 PM.

CORRECTION: This story was updated at 2:30 p.m. on March 30 correct information regarding California’s recall process. If a recall against Katie Valenzuela qualifies for the November 2022 election, voters would see two questions on their ballots. One would ask whether she should be recalled, and the other would ask who should replace her.

Corrected Mar 30, 2022
Theresa Clift
The Sacramento Bee
Theresa Clift is the Regional Watchdog Reporter for The Sacramento Bee. She covered Sacramento City Hall for The Bee from 2018 through 2024. Before joining The Bee, she worked for newspapers in Pennsylvania, Virginia and Wisconsin. She grew up in Michigan and graduated with a journalism degree from Central Michigan University.
Get one year of unlimited digital access for $159.99
#ReadLocal

Only 44¢ per day

SUBSCRIBE NOW