Good morning. Here’s what you need to know today, Friday, July 10, 2015:
Mild weather on the midway
State Fair weather usually means hot temperatures, but not today. The opening of the fair this morning will be cool. Delta breezes have delivered mild weather for Friday. The high is only expected to reach 82 degrees in Sacramento.
State Fair is open
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
The California State Fair kicks off its 17-day run at 10 a.m. at Cal Expo, 1600 Exposition Blvd., Sacramento. Attractions include horse racing at 4:15 p.m., a Demolition Derby at 7 p.m. and Morris Day at 8 p.m. See http://sacb.ee/3H3l for more details.
Water District holds forum
The Rio Linda/Elverta Community Water District will have a town hall meeting to discuss several items, including high levels of carcinogen chromium-6 found in wells near the former McClellan Air Force Base. Other topics range from drought restrictions to conservation ideas. The meeting starts at 6 p.m, 6730 Front St., Rio Linda.
The California Natural Resources Agency is convening a “Summit on Water Technology and the California Drought” at the California EPA headquarters in downtown Sacramento. Discussions will look at ways in which technology has saved water for growers and urban users, as well as methods of recycling or desalinating water. The event, which is not accepting anymore attendee requests, runs from 9 a.m. to 4:45 p.m.
Things to do
- The Summer Concert Series at Cesar Chavez Plaza continues in downtown Sacramento. Scheduled performers from 5 to 9 p.m. at 901 I St. are the Soft White Sixties, The Nickel Slots, Justin Farren, Vintage Vandals and El Conductor.
- Natomas at Nite series includes “The Lorax,” which is playing at 8 p.m. at the North Natomas Regional Park, Via Ingoglia and New Market Drive in Sacramento. The movie will begin at sundown. During the movie, free popcorn, water and glow sticks will be provided.
- Davis’ John Natsoulas Center for the Arts hosts a free concert with the Brassy! brass ensemble. The event is from 6 to 8 p.m. at the center, 521 First St.
- As part of Collector Car Appreciation Day, visitors to the California Automobile Museum are invited to drive their classic car to the museum from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. to gain free admission for the driver and all passengers. The museum is at 2200 Front St., Sacramento.
- It’s Star Wars Night as the Sacramento River Cats play the Fresno Grizzlies at 7:05 p.m. at Raley Field, West Sacramento.