Local

Two new single-family home developments planned for Sacramento neighborhood

Anton Development plans to build 95 single-family homes aimed at first time home buyers, and 115 affordable apartment units at a vacant lot at 3625 Fong Ranch Road in South Natomas.
Anton Development plans to build 95 single-family homes aimed at first time home buyers, and 115 affordable apartment units at a vacant lot at 3625 Fong Ranch Road in South Natomas. BKF Engineers

Two new large housing developments are planned for the City of Sacramento’s South Natomas neighborhood.

The City Council will Tuesday consider selling a city-owned lot near Natomas High School to Anton Development to build 95 single-family homes aimed at first time home buyers, and 115 affordable apartment units, according to a city staff report.

Anton in 2022 proposed 555 new housing units, and the city was going to sell it for $6.4 million, the staff report said. Since then Anton performed inspections and due diligence, and has scaled down its proposal. The sale price for the roughly 17-acre property is now $4 million.

The city bought the property in 2003 for about $2 million, the staff report said.

Less than a mile from that property is another vacant lot where a developer is planning to build single-family homes.

The Sacramento Planning and Design Commission Thursday approved recommendation of a zoning change to allow for 41 new single-family homes to be constructed, with many of them praising the project as adding much-needed housing stock.

The project will also require approval from the City Council, according to a city email.

One nearby resident submitted a comment to the city concerned about traffic, city associate planner Jose Quintanilla told the commission.

However the project is not largely controversial, said Councilwoman Karina Talamantes, who represents the area.

The project’s streets will be private, paid for by an HOA, Quintanilla said

Also in South Natomas, on the other side of Interstate 80, a new apartment complex called Birchway at Natomas, with 378 market-rate units in nine buildings, is planned for a vacant lot. It also requires City Council approval.

Theresa Clift
The Sacramento Bee
Theresa Clift is the Regional Watchdog Reporter for The Sacramento Bee. She covered Sacramento City Hall for The Bee from 2018 through 2024. Before joining The Bee, she worked for newspapers in Pennsylvania, Virginia and Wisconsin. She grew up in Michigan and graduated with a journalism degree from Central Michigan University.
Get one year of unlimited digital access for $159.99
#ReadLocal

Only 44¢ per day

SUBSCRIBE NOW