Local

GoFundMe appeal launched for wife of man missing in Esparto fireworks disaster

A screenshot of the GoFundMe campaign for the family of Joel “Junior” Melendez, one of seven people “unaccounted for” following a massive inferno at a fireworks warehouse near Esparto on Tuesday, July 1, 2025.
A screenshot of the GoFundMe campaign for the family of Joel “Junior” Melendez, one of seven people “unaccounted for” following a massive inferno at a fireworks warehouse near Esparto on Tuesday, July 1, 2025. GoFundMe

An online GoFundMe appeal is seeking relief for the wife of one of the seven people missing in the Yolo County blasts that obliterated a pyrotechnics warehouse in Esparto on Tuesday.

Joel “Junior” Melendez remains missing three days after explosions ripped through the fireworks warehouse in the 26400 block of County Road 23 near County Road 86A, about a mile south of Highway 16 just after 6 p.m. Tuesday.

Federal investigators on Thursday joined the probe into the destructive blast as the search for answers and victims entered a third day in Esparto.

Melendez is the father of an 11-month-old son. Melendez’s wife, Maria, is expecting their second child, her cousin, Marilly Kepoo-Galicia, said in a GoFundMe appeal for the family.

Six others are also reported missing. Family members say they include Melendez’s stepbrother, Johnny Ramos, and Ramos’ brother, Jesus Ramos, 18.

“This tragic accident has taken so much from so many, and for Maria, it’s shattered her entire world,” Kepoo-Galicia wrote. “What should be a joyful and hopeful time has instead become filled with fear, uncertainty, and heartbreak.”

The online fundraising effort had raised $2,255 — about 25% of a $10,000 goal — by noon Thursday.

Melendez was the family’s main provider, Kepoo-Galicia said. Funds raised will go toward essential needs and child care.

“As we continue to hold onto hope and pray for answers, we’re coming together to support Maria and her children through this incredibly difficult time as she navigates this painful journey without Jr.,” the appeal read.

Esparto is in far western Yolo County, about 30 miles west of Sacramento.

This story was originally published July 3, 2025 at 2:10 PM.

Darrell Smith
The Sacramento Bee
Darrell Smith is a local reporter for The Sacramento Bee. He joined The Bee in 2006 and previously worked at newspapers in Palm Springs, Colorado Springs and Marysville. Smith was born and raised at Beale Air Force Base and lives in Elk Grove.
Get one year of unlimited digital access for $159.99
#ReadLocal

Only 44¢ per day

SUBSCRIBE NOW