Her sons are missing after Esparto fireworks blast. Now she awaits answers
Marisol Ramos walked up to the smoldering rubble and wailed.
Fireworks sparked and rippled nearby behind crumbled walls and strewn-about debris where three of her children had been working hours before.
She called their names through heavy sobs. No one answered.
Ramos shared video with reporters Thursday, showing that Tuesday night she had gone to the burning fireworks facility in Esparto hours after the warehouse her children had been working at caught fire and exploded, pouring smoke high into the air and reverberating through the nearby town.
“We went inside. Why they cannot go?” Ramos said of the authorities’ handling the scene. “We’re the heroes. There’s no heroes for me no more.”
Her sons Jesús, 18, Jhony, 22, and 28-year-old Joel “Junior” Melendez are among seven people who remain unaccounted for in the aftermath of the explosion. Authorities have yet to identify any of the missing people but said they were making progress in securing the explosion site.
Late Thursday, officials said evacuations had been reduced “in select areas” as firefighters and investigators worked to put out spot fires and begin sifting the rubble for answers.
“Due to the presence of known explosive materials on site, explosive ordinance disposal experts are working alongside fire personnel to ensure safety during suppression activities,” they said.
Family members were the ones to identify their three missing relatives, and have questioned the response and search efforts from local responders.
“We have received no information from nobody,” Ramos said. “That’s why we’re here every day ... to find out what’s going on.”
Ramos said that she first learned of the explosion through a friend before traveling to the facility the night of the fire, and has relied on media reports for updates.
Relatives have traveled from Los Angeles and the Bay Area and are currently staying in Sacramento. The Yolo County officials have provided them with hotel and food vouchers.
Matthew Davis, Yolo County undersheriff, told reporters Thursday that officials must ensure the scene is safe before moving forward with the missing persons search, so as to not risk more injuries.
“We must ask and beg for your patience,” Davis said.
By late afternoon, there were about 15 family members of Ramos’ three missing sons waiting outside the roadblocks that remained for a second full day. Family members waited outside the barriers through the afternoon.
“I need the ashes of my three babies,” Ramos said.
This story was originally published July 3, 2025 at 6:17 PM.