Local

Netflix postpones attempt by Sacramento-area native to climb skyscraper live

Shortly before Sacramento-area native Alex Honnold was scheduled to free solo climb a Taiwanese skyscraper live on Netflix, the streamer confirmed that the event had been postponed.

The Hollywood Reporter wrote that roughly 30 minutes before Honnold was to begin his climb, which had been scheduled for 5 p.m. PST on Jan. 23, Netflix disclosed that the event had been rescheduled.

“Due to weather, we are unable to proceed with today’s SkyscraperLIVE event,” Netflix said in a statement, according to THR. “It has been rescheduled for Saturday, January 24 at 8 PM ET | 5 PM PT. Safety remains our top priority, and we appreciate your understanding.”

Honnold, 40, was born in Sacramento and in 2017, became the first person to make a free solo climb of El Capitan in Yosemite, meaning he made the climb without wearing protective ropes. A 2018 National Geographic documentary, “Free Solo” chronicled his accomplishment.

He is to climb a 101-story building in Taipei for his Netflix event.

“Ultimately, this will be Alex’s decision,” a Netflix spokesperson told THR. “How is he doing and how is he feeling about the conditions?”

On Friday morning, Sacramento-area climbers who’d known Honnold, such as Don Bradley, defended his rationale.

“If he’s going to do this, he’s prepared,” Bradley said. “He’s put the work in.”

Read Next

This story was originally published January 23, 2026 at 5:41 PM.

Graham Womack
The Sacramento Bee
Graham Womack is a general assignment reporter for The Sacramento Bee. Prior to joining The Bee full-time in September 2025, he freelanced for the publication for several years. His work has won several California Journalism Awards and spurred state legislation.
Get one year of unlimited digital access for $159.99
#ReadLocal

Only 44¢ per day

SUBSCRIBE NOW