Good morning. Here’s what you need to know today, Saturday, Aug. 22, 2015:
The 80s return
The recent run of warm but moderate summer temperatures continues in Sacramento. The expected high today in Sacramento is 89 degrees, with a low of about 60 degrees tonight, according to the National Weather Service.
Wild horse adoption in Rancho Murieta
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Sacramento Bee
Wild horses trained by inmates at Sacramento County’s Rio Cosumnes Correctional Center will be up for adoption in Rancho Murieta. The adoption program gets underway at 9 a.m. at the Murieta Equestrian Center, 7200 Lone Pine Drive, allowing potential horse owners to get a good look at the steeds. A mustang presentation starts at 11 a.m, followed by the noon auction.
Baseball field dedication to slain deputy
The Placer County Deputy Sheriffs’ Association and Placer 10-35 Foundation are inviting the public to a dedication of a baseball field in the memory of Placer County sheriff’s deputy Michael Davis Jr., who was killed in the line of duty last October. The field is at North Tahoe Regional Park at 6600 Donner Road, Tahoe Vista, and the ceremony begins at 10 a.m.
Multicultural Festival in Elk Grove
Elk Grove will host the annual Elk Grove Multicultural Festival. The festivities include music, art, food and craft booths representing cultures from around the world. Parking and admission are free. The event runs from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. at Elk Grove Regional Park, 9950 Elk Grove-Florin Road.
Things to do
- The sixth annual Art, Wine, and Food Classic benefiting NeighborWorks Sacramento takes place from 5 to 9 p.m. at the California Museum’s Constitution Courtyard, 1020 O St., Sacramento. The event features local wine, food tastings, artists and live music. Proceeds raised will benefit NeighborWorks’ local HomeOwnership Center.
- The free Weekend Concerts in the Park series continues in Carmichael. Group Therapy is scheduled to perform from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. at Carmichael Park, 5750 Grant Ave.
- The much-heralded 1967 movie “The Graduate” is being screened at 7:30 p.m. at Crest Theatre, 1013 K St., Sacramento.
- Sacramento River Cats vs. New Orleans Zephyrs, 7:05 p.m., Raley Field.
- Sacramento Republic FC vs. Real Monarchs SLC, 8 p.m., Bonney Field.