Burn permit suspensions to be lifted Monday

The burn permit suspension will be lifted Monday in Amador, El Dorado, Alpine and Sacramento counties.

Brian Estes, chief of the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection’s Amador-El Dorado Unit, announced that people possessing current and valid agriculture and residential burn permits can resume burning on permissible burn days.

Agriculture burns must be inspected by Cal Fire before burning until the end of the peak fire season. Inspections may be required for non-agriculture burns as well. Requirements can be verified by calling the local air quality management district.

Cal Fire burn permits will be required until the end of the peak fire season. Officials noted that although cooler temperatures have helped diminish the wildfire threat, the state is in its fourth year of drought. They urge residents and property owners to use caution when conducting debris and agriculture burns, noting that individuals can be civilly or criminally liable for allowing a fire to escape their control or burn onto a neighbor’s property.

To verify whether it is a permissive burn day, call the appropriate number for the burn location:

▪ Amador County, 209-223-6246

▪ El Dorado County, 530-621-5897

▪ Sacramento County, 877-662-8765

▪ South Lake Tahoe, 530-621-5842 or 888-332-2876

▪ Alpine County, 760-872-8211

Cal Fire officials also issued pile burning requirements:

▪ Only dry, natural vegetative material – such as leaves, pine needles and tree trimmings – may be burned.

▪ Burning of trash, painted wood or other debris is not allowed.

▪ Do not burn on windy days.

▪ Piles should be no larger than 4 feet in diameter and in height. You can add to the pile as it burns down.

▪ Clear a 10-foot-diameter area down to bare soil around piles.

▪ Have a shovel and water source nearby.

▪ An adult must be present at the fire at all times.

Safe residential pile burning of forest residue by landowners is a crucial tool in reducing fire hazards, fire officials said. They noted that state, federal and local land management and fire agencies also will be conducting prescribed burns aimed at improving forest health on private and public lands.

Fore more information on burning, go to www.fire.ca.gov.

Cathy Locke: 916-321-5287, @lockecathy