I-5 lane restrictions planned
Work continues on the $13.5 million project by the state Department of Transportation and the city of Sacramento on the I-5 Riverfront Reconnection Project that will provide improved connections to the riverfront, Old Sacramento, the Crocker Art Museum and Capitol Mall. A new connection into Old Sacramento through the Capitol Mall and Second Street will be constructed with improved pedestrian access on the O Street Bridge near the art museum.
Here is the scheduled work planned this week on Interstate 5, according to CalTrans:
▪ From Q Street to J Street: Northbound motorists can expect No. 1, 2 and 3 lane restrictions and ramp closures from 8 p.m. to 6 a.m. Monday through Thursday, 8 p.m. Thursday to 9 a.m. Friday, and 7 p.m. Friday to 9 a.m. Saturday. A contractor is scheduled for highway construction and falsework installation.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Sacramento Bee
▪ From Richards Boulevard to P Street and Highway 50 and I-5 connector: Northbound motorists can expect shoulder restrictions and ramp closures from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m. Monday through Thursday, 8 p.m. Thursday to 8 a.m. Friday, and 8 p.m. Friday to 8 a.m. Saturday. A contractor is scheduled for falsework installation.
▪ Capitol Mall overcrossing to Tower Bridge: Northbound motorists can expect No. 1 and 2 local street lane restrictions 7 p.m. to 7 a.m. Monday through Thursday, 7 p.m. Thursday to 11 a.m. Friday, and 7 p.m. Friday to 11 a.m Saturday. A contractor is scheduled for highway construction. Watch for flaggers.
▪ I Street on-ramp: Southbound motorists can expect full ramp closure from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. Monday through Thursday, 10 p.m. Thursday to 9 a.m. Friday, and 10 p.m. Friday to 9 a.m. Saturday. A contractor is scheduled for falsework installation.
A cold start
It’s chilly this morning as a north breeze combines with cold air in the wake of Sunday’s storm. Crank up the car heater for the ride to the mall or to work. Rainfall total from Sunday was about a half inch in Sacramento.
Holiday music in Capitol Rotunda
There are live holiday musical performances planned daily through Dec. 23 in the state Capitol Rotunda. Scheduled to perform on Monday are the Crocker-Riverside Singing Cubs at 11 a.m., and Sambandha – Music of the World at noon. For a full schedule of performances, go to www.parks.ca.gov/Events/Details/6692
Things to do
▪ During the holiday season, visitors to the Sacramento Zoo can bring a non-perishable food item and receive a dollar off admission. Donations go to the River City Food Bank. Go to www.saczoo.org for more information.