Good morning. Here’s what you need to know today, Saturday, Dec. 19:
A slow-moving system will bring showers before 10 a.m. Saturday, then showers and thunderstorms likely between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. Rain totals will be a half an inch in the Sacramento region. Showers also expected with thunderstorms after 4 p.m. High near 53. Snow fall amounts expected to be around nine inches at Sierra mountain passes and a little more at higher elevations. A winter storm warning above 5,000 feet remains in effect for the Western Sierra. South southeast winds will be around 7 mph becoming west southwest in the afternoon.
Sac State commencement at arena
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Sacramento Bee
Sacramento State President Robert S. Nelsen presides over commencement ceremonies at Sleep Train Arena, 1 Sports Parkway, Sacramento. Saturday’s schedule:
▪ 8:30 a.m. – College of Health and Human Services, 687 graduates
▪ 11:30 a.m. – College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics, 157 graduates
▪ 2 p.m. – College of Business Administration, 547 graduates, featuring an honorary doctorate being awarded to community leader Joyce Raley Teel and the “Golden Grads” from the class of 1965.
▪ 5 p.m. – College of Education, 227 graduates, 69 credentials
Christmas gala, fundraiser
The nonprofit 100 Black Men of Sacramento Inc. presents the 29th annual Christmas Gala and Scholarship Fundraiser. The black-tie event begins at 6 p.m. at the Hilton Sacramento Arden West, 2200 Harvard St. It will feature a champagne reception, dinner and entertainment by smooth jazz recording artist Jeanette Harris and dancing with DJ Gino.
Things to do
▪ Old Sacramento’s seventh annual Macy’s Theatre of Lights continues with two performances. The free outdoor shows blend a symphony of lights, sounds and visual effects. Saturday’s shows are scheduled at 6:15 and 7:45 p.m. at 1002 Second St.