Local

Residents return to homes after ammonia leak forces evacuations

Sacramento Fire Department firefighters briefly evacuated a mobile home park near the 3100 block of 52nd Avenue as a precaution after an ammonia leak in a nearby cold-storage facility was discovered.

Fire spokesman Chris Harvey said firefighters plugged the leak and the ammonia was expected to dissipate. Residents were evacuated as a temporary precaution as firefighters were detecting 100 parts per million of ammonia in the area at about 6:30 p.m. A level of 300 parts per million is considered hazardous, Harvey said.

“The leak has been stopped,” Harvey said.

By 8 p.m., firefighters were allowing residents to return to their homes.

Sam Stanton: 916-321-1091, @StantonSam

  Comments