Independence Day events
From parades to fireworks, Independence Day revelry will take place throughout the Sacramento region. Here are some highlights. For a complete list of activities and a video offering tips for shooting great fireworks photos, go to sacb.ee/6IM8.
▪ Carmichael will kick off its festivities with the 58th annual Elks Club Parade at 10:30 a.m. down Fair Oaks Boulevard. Beginning at 7 p.m., the La Sierra Community Center will be the setting for an evening of family activities such as arts and crafts, face painting, inflatables and a balloon artist. Plus, fireworks at dark. Blankets and lawn chairs welcome. La Sierra Community Center, 5325 Engle Road, Carmichael. Free. 916-485-5322; carmichaelpark.com. 10:30 a.m.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
▪ While spectators can view fireworks from Cal Expo’s grounds, the ideal setting is inside the racetrack gates, where all the family activities take place. Fireworks will explode over the Miller Lite Racetrack Grandstand at 9:30 p.m. Cal Expo Fairgrounds, 1600 Exposition Blvd., Sacramento. Free; $10 limited reserved seating and parking. 916-263-3000; calexpo.com/independence-day-celebration. 5 p.m.
▪ The Rancho Cordova celebration will feature a carnival, kids zone, musical entertainment, BMX freestyle show and parade at 10 a.m. on Coloma Road. The day will be topped off with a fireworks extravaganza at 9:45 p.m. Hagan Park, 2197 Chase Drive, Rancho Cordova. 916-273-5704; www.ranchocordovajuly4th.com.
▪ Elk Grove will offer “A Salute to the Red, White & Blue.” The 20th annual celebration is a nod to the city’s 16th anniversary of incorporation and the 10th anniversary of the Elk Grove Police Department. Festivities will include “Let Freedom Ride” bike and stroller parade at 5:30 p.m.; vendor exhibits; entertainment from the Sacramento Single Squares and Groove Thang, 6 p.m.; and fireworks show at 9:30 p.m. Elk Grove Regional Park, Elk Grove-Florin Road, Elk Grove. $10 per vehicle. 916-683-7111; www.elkgrovecity.org.
▪ The Folsom Pro Rodeo will feature fireworks at Dan Russell Rodeo Arena, 403 Stafford St., Folsom. Admission: $21.50 general; $15.50 seniors, children. Reserved seating: $26.50. 916-985-2698; www.folsomrodeo.com. Gates will open at 6 p.m.
▪ Roseville will celebrate with a parade beginning at 9 a.m. near Riverside Avenue, Vernon Street and Douglas Boulevard. A festival at Royer Park, 190 Park Drive, will follow at 10 a.m., featuring the Capitol Pops Concert Band. The day will conclude with fireworks at the Placer County Fairgrounds and Event Center, 800 All America City Blvd. Bring blankets and lawn chairs. The grandstands in the speedway will be open for additional seating. Live music, beer and snacks will be on hand before the fireworks show at 9:30 p.m. Parking is $5. www.placercountyfair.org. Gates will open at 5 p.m.
▪ An Auburn Family Fourth will feature bingo, kids activities, music, food, culminating with fireworks at 9:40 p.m. Gold Country Fairgrounds, 1273 High St., Auburn. Free. 530-823-4533; goldcountryfair.com/event/auburn-family-4th. 4-10 p.m.
El Dorado County
▪ Festivalgoers can bring barbecues (propane only) and coolers (but no outside alcohol) to the El Dorado Fairgrounds for the celebration, which includes contests and games for the kids, hay maze and bounce house ($5); live music at 6 p.m.; and fireworks. El Dorado County Fairgrounds, 100 Placerville Drive, Placerville. $3 gate admission. $6 parking. $15 per car (parking and gate admission up to 6 people). $45 for RVs. 530-621-5860; eldoradocountyfair.org. 4 p.m.
▪ A fireworks extravaganza will be preceded by free entertainment at the Davis Community Park main stage. Community Park, 1405 F St., Davis. 530-757-5602. For complete schedule, go to sacb.ee/6KK7. 4 p.m.
▪ Whether you’re looking for a family-friendly event or an evening cocktail party, Fourth on the Field delivers, with more than 20 food trucks, games, bounce house, live music, culminating with fireworks at 9:30 p.m. at Raley Field, 400 Ballpark Drive, West Sacramento. $15 general, $5 children ages 12 and younger. $10 parking. 800-745-3000; www.ticketmaster.com. 6 p.m.