The San Joaquin County District Attorney’s Office will not file charges against two people arrested in connection with the death of a 13-year-old Lodi boy.
In an announcement on its Facebook page, the District Attorney’s Office said Michael John Ferro, 29, and a second suspect, Bailey Allen, would not be charged in the killing of 13-year-old Eduardo “Lalo” Lagunas last month.
“The investigation into this shooting continues,” the District Attorney’s Office wrote.
Ferro was arrested on a homicide warrant after a traffic stop in Stockton on March 10. He was released from custody following the district attorney’s decision. It was not clear Wednesday when Allen was taken into custody or what connection the two were thought to have to the crime.
Lodi police spokesman Lt. Sierra Brucia said Allen’s name “came up” over the course of the homicide investigation. She was arrested by the Lodi Police Department, but was not charged in connection with the homicide, Brucia said.
He said detectives are still seeking the public’s help in gathering information in Eduardo’s death.
“This is an ongoing investigation until we’re able to get a conviction,” Brucia said Wednesday.
Eduardo was shot just after midnight Feb. 17 in the 900 block of South Garfield Street in Lodi. He was taken to a hospital by friends, and died on Feb. 21.
Lodi police have refused to comment on what may have motivated the shooting.
Detectives continue to investigate whether Eduardo’s shooting was related to a Feb. 16 shooting about 2 miles away when two young men were wounded while standing on the front porch of a house in the 700 block of North Church Street.
That incident was gang-related, Brucia said.
Call The Bee’s Marissa Lang at (916) 321-1038. Follow her on Twitter @Marissa_Jae.