A Sacramento man was critically burned and taken to a hospital by ambulance Friday after a fire broke out at his River Park duplex.
The blaze started about 12:30 p.m. at the home in the 5600 block of Moddison Avenue, said neighbors, throwing heavy smoke into the sky and requiring 30 firefighters.
Leslie Ingle, who lives down the block, saw a man being treated for his burns before being hauled onto a stretcher for the short trip to UC Davis Medical Center, where officials said he was in critical condition. Ingle said a small explosion may have sparked the fire and that the victim’s face appeared badly burned.
“Whoever it was, it blew up in his face. I walked out my front door and saw smoke, then everybody started running,” Ingle said. “There was so much smoke that I thought it was next to my house.”
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
The cause of the blaze was not immediately known. Sacramento Fire Battalion Chief Jeff Helvin said fire investigators were headed to the scene.
Fire crews from across the city – from Alhambra, the Cal Expo area, Fruitridge and Oak Park – rushed to the blaze and quickly knocked it down. Firefighters cut holes into the roof to vent the smoke and flames and clear the way for a search of the home.
Helvin said the injured man was the only person inside.
Annette Walker and Brad Braddon, who live across the street from the duplex, were on their way to a movie matinee when they saw smoke pluming from the duplex’s roof near the chimney.
“I thought it was fog – until I smelled smoke,” Braddon said. “The trucks started arriving almost immediately.”
Call The Bee’s Bill Lindelof, (916) 321-1079.