Visitors to Lake Tahoe for early season trail riding or road trips around the alpine countryside beware: two high-end bikes have been lifted in the past week from the racks of vehicles.
The bikes were on vehicle racks in public parking lots in South Lake Tahoe. In each theft, the bikes were secured with cable locks, which were easily cut.
South Lake Police encourage a heavier-grade lock to secure bikes. Tips for preventing theft:
▪ Always lock your bike’s frame and wheels with a U-lock.
▪ Remove items such as lights, bags and quick release parts and take them with you.
▪ Lock to a bike rack, parking meter or sign pole.
▪ Always lock your bike, even if you're just leaving it for a moment.
▪ Always lock through the frame and a wheel. Add a cable, cable lock, or second U-lock to lock the second wheel.
▪ Buy the most expensive lock you can afford. Only buy a U-lock with a flat or disc key. Locks with cylindrical keys are more easily picked.
▪ Store your bike inside if space is available.
▪ Lock your bike when keeping it in a garage.
Call The Bee’s Bill Lindelof, (916) 321-1079.