Crime - Sacto 911

Police say burning battery was device that prompted fire scare at Rocklin theater

The Studio Movie Grill in Rocklin, December 2016.
The Studio Movie Grill in Rocklin, December 2016. Ed Andersen

Rocklin police say a device that prompted evacuation Monday evening of the Studio Movie Grill has been identified as a battery.

The evacuation occurred after what initially was described as a lit firework landed in an unsuspecting customer’s purse.

Battery
Rocklin police officials announced Tuesday that the department’s explosives experts had examined the item and determined that it was a battery similar to one used in a vaping device. Rocklin Police Department

About 7 p.m., a patron seated in one of the theater’s upper rows tossed a crackling device into the audience below, according to a Rocklin Police Department news release.

It landed inside another movie-watcher’s cloth purse but was extinguished before police arrived at the scene. No one was injured and the theater suffered no fire damage.

Police announced Tuesday that the department’s explosives experts had examined the item and determined that it was a battery similar to one used in a vaping device. There was no indication that anyone had tampered with the battery and, at this point, it is not known what caused it to catch fire, the news release said.

Anyone with information about the incident is asked to contact Rocklin police Sgt. Andre Booker at 916-625-5400.

Benjy Egel: 916-321-1052, @BenjyEgel

  Comments