A 7-year-old boy remains hospitalized with critical injuries after being shot Sunday night in Stockton.
The boy, identified only as Carlos or “C4” in social media posts and news reports, was watching TV with his parents about 8 p.m. Sunday when a suspect shot wildly into their Grange Avenue apartment complex.
A stray bullet ripped through Carlos’ stomach and penetrated his intestines, liver and spleen, breaking multiple ribs in the process, according to a GoFundMe page established to help his parents afford his medical treatment.
The GoFundMe page said Carlos was in stable but critical condition on Monday after overnight emergency surgery. Family members told Fox40 later that day that the boy had been placed on life support.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Sacramento Bee
In a Facebook post on Monday, former Stockton Mayor Anthony Silva said the .40 caliber bullet was likely intended for one of Carlos’ neighbors. Carlos’ mother is a member of the military and his father helps children with special needs in the Stockton area, Silva said.
“They feel that Stockton has failed to protect their family,” Silva said. “They want and deserve real justice for their son.”
Authorities have yet to announce an arrest in Carlos’ shooting. The Stockton Police Department directed questions about the case to the San Joaquin County Sheriff’s Office, which did not respond to a request for comment Monday.
Anyone with information about the shooting is asked to contact the Sheriff's Office at 209-468-4400 or Crime Stoppers at 209-946-0600.