Crime - Sacto 911

Kitchen fire torches Vineyard home Wednesday morning

A family in Sacramento’s Vineyard neighborhood lost its two-story home in a fire early Wednesday, but managed to make it out of the burning building uninjured.

The family had been using an oven Tuesday evening, said Capt. Chris Vestal of the Sacramento Metropolitan Fire Department, and realized a fire had started in their kitchen after being awoken by smoke detectors.

Both adults and their two children were outside when the Fire Department arrived about 2:05 a.m. Wednesday to their house, which was engulfed in flames, in the 7900 block of Kawana Court.

An initial sweep showed the second floor had partially collapsed and the roof had weakened, prompting firefighters to begin defensive measures aimed at keeping the blaze from spreading to other properties.

The family lost an estimated $500,000 worth of possessions, Vestal said, and has temporarily moved in with friends and relatives. Firefighters at the scene reported the heaviest damage was in the kitchen.

“Whether or not we’re able to determine the actual cause would depend on what’s left (of the house), which doesn’t sound like a whole lot,” Vestal said.

Sacramento Metropolitan Fire Department recommends every home be equipped with smoke detectors, the newest models of which last 10 years with no battery replacement needed.

Benjy Egel: 916-321-1052, @BenjyEgel

  Comments