Crime - Sacto 911

Man dies in carbon monoxide poisoning incident Wednesday, officials say

Scene, details of deadly carbon monoxide poisoning at complex in North Sacramento

Fire, police and hazardous materials units were called to Lampasas Avenue for a “decreased level of consciousness call.” One man was found dead in an apartment with elevated carbon monoxide levels.
Up Next
Fire, police and hazardous materials units were called to Lampasas Avenue for a “decreased level of consciousness call.” One man was found dead in an apartment with elevated carbon monoxide levels.

One man died Wednesday night from carbon monoxide poisoning inside an apartment in Old North Sacramento, fire officials said.

Fire, police and hazmat units were called to the 700 block of Lampasas Avenue about 5:45 p.m. Wednesday for a “decreased level of consciousness call,” said Sacramento Fire Department spokesman Capt. Keith Wade. Authorities located the man in a first-floor apartment and broke the window to gain entrance, Wade said. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

The man was discovered by a PG&E technician, who was working on another apartment in the complex when he detected high levels of odorless gas, Wade said.

Wade said the technician then checked the gas meters in the complex to locate the source of the leak.

“When they checked those meters, they found that there was one of the meters that serviced a specific unit that was spinning differently than any of the other units,” he said.

After shutting of gas to the complex, the technician and apartment manger discovered the man lying on the floor of the apartment through a window and called 911.

The hazmat team, along with county health officials who responded, and found dangerous levels of carbon monoxide in the unit, Wade said. In a news update issued Thursday, Wade said there was a carbon monoxide detector in the apartment but it didn’t have a battery.

The building was evacuated, but no hazardous levels of carbon monoxide were found other units of the complex, Wade said. People were allowed to return to their homes at about 9 p.m. Wednesday.

The Sacramento Police Department is actively investigating the incident. The identity of the man has not been released.

This video by the CDC shows how you can prevent carbon monoxide poisoning in your home.

  Comments