Sacramento police create online registry for business owners in wake of burglaries
After seeing an uptick in business burglaries during statewide coronavirus stay-at-home orders, the Sacramento Police Department announced Tuesday a new online business registry to strengthen communication between the agency and business owners.
“This registry will help streamline the communication process between business partners and their area command staff so that we are able to address their specific needs,” the department said in a news release.
Following Gov. Gavin Newsom’s order on March 19, police noticed a “slight uptick” in business burglaries as many storefronts sat empty during the statewide closure. Previously, police reported that burglaries increased slightly since the first week of March, when 85 incidents were reported to 95 incidents over a week ending April 5.
In the early days of the quarantine, Sacramento Police stepped up patrols in business districts and changed its alarm response so that all alarm triggers are dispatched as a call for service even if the business owner cannot be reached, police said.
Business burglaries still spiked for a short period but are now in decline again, police said.
“During the past two weeks both business burglaries and incidents of vandalism have declined,” police said.
Business owners within the city limits can register online at https://apps.sacpd.org, the release said.