Crime - Sacto 911

Fairfield man badly burned when fireworks explode in his garage

A Fairfield man suffered severe burns over his body when fireworks he was assembling in his garage blew up Wednesday.

Fairfield police said Anthony Stewart, 42, was handling the fireworks about 5 p.m. at his home in the 1700 block of Catlin Drive when the one loud explosion occurred.

Stewart was found lying on the ground outside the residence with burns that were life-threatening. He was first taken by ambulance to a trauma center, then airlifted to a Sacramento burn unit, police said.

Police said he was assembling the fireworks for the Fourth of July.

Authorities found what they described as a large amount of undetonated explosive material. The material that did not explode was removed and rendered safe by explosive experts from the Yolo County Bomb Squad and the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

Residents evacuated from the neighborhood were provided shelter by the American Red Cross.

  Comments