A Sacramento man has been sentenced in federal court to five years in prison for receiving child pornography.
Humberto Lozano III, 27, was sentenced Wednesday by U.S. District Judge Kimberly J. Mueller. He was ordered to begin serving his sentence Sept. 2 and will be required to register as a sex offender upon his release, according to a U.S. Attorney’s Office news release.
According to court documents, in March 2013, America Online shut down Lozano’s email account because it had been used to distribute child pornography. AOL reported the account to law enforcement authorities. When law enforcement officers obtained a search warrant for the email account, they found a total of 1,360 images and 21 videos of child pornography.
After his AOL account was shut down, Lozano opened a new email account, this time with Yahoo! He used that account to solicit images of child pornography. Between March 11 and July 1, 2013, approximately 1,300 images and 30 videos of child pornography were received, authorities said. Investigators recovered a hard drive in Lozano’s possession and applied computer forensic tools to recover 4,000 deleted images of child pornography and child erotica.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Sacramento Bee
Authorities said a child was rescued as a result of the investigation. One of the 4,000 deleted images still contained location data, indicating it was a child subject to sexual abuse in the Netherlands. The information was passed to Dutch law enforcement authorities, who used it to find the child and rescue her from ongoing abuse.
The case resulted from an investigation by he FBI Child Exploitation Task Force/Innocent Images National Initiative in partnership with the Sacramento Sheriff’s Office Internet Crimes Against Children Task Force.