2 killed in high-speed crash in south Sacramento. They were hit as vehicles evaded police
Two people were killed Saturday morning in a crash along Stockton Boulevard in south Sacramento, in the midst of a police pursuit involving two other vehicles.
The victims were in a car just north of 65th Street when they were T-boned about 8:50 a.m. by another driver traveling at a high rate of speed, said Officer Mark Leavitt, a California Highway Patrol spokesman. They died at the scene.
The CHP is the lead agency investigating the crash, as it occurred in an unincorporated area of the county.
Just before the crash, Sacramento police officers observed two vehicles driving recklessly in the area of Stockton Boulevard and 47th Avenue, according to a police news release. The officers were in a marked police vehicle and activated their emergency lights and sirens in an attempt to conduct enforcement stops on the vehicles, the release said.
Both vehicles continued driving recklessly and led officers on a half-mile pursuit, lasting 26 seconds, before one of the vehicles struck an uninvolved vehicle, killing the two people, the release said. The other involved vehicle fled the area and has not been located, police said.
One of those killed was a woman, while no information on the other person had been released, Leavitt said.
The driver of the car that caused the crash was taken to the hospital with major injuries, Leavitt said. It was not yet determined if drugs or alcohol were involved, or if the driver will face criminal charges.
Any witnesses with information regarding this investigation may contact the California Highway Patrol – South Sacramento at 916-897-5600 or Sacramento Valley Crime Stoppers at 916-443-HELP (4357). Callers can remain anonymous and may be eligible for a reward up to $1,000. Anonymous tips can also be submitted using the free “P3 Tips” smartphone app.
This story was originally published May 21, 2022 at 12:57 PM.