Crime

Hoax report of shooting forces lockdown of Sacramento high school, police say

Police tape at crime scene

Police and campus officials say a false report of multiple people being shot Tuesday morning at a Sacramento high school was a hoax.

Officers responded to the 4300 block of Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard in South Oak Park, the site of Christian Brothers High School, the Sacramento Police Department said in social media posts shortly after 11 a.m.

“Officers immediately responded and after clearing the entire school, determined the call was a hoax and that NO shooting had occurred at the school,” the Police Department tweeted.

Christian Brothers in a statement said the campus was “briefly” locked down.

“A short time ago, we were briefly on lockdown due to a false 911 call made to police from an off campus location,” Christian Brothers High School administrators wrote in a tweet. “Everyone is safe and campus is secure. Thank you to police, faculty and staff, and students for your quick response to this situation.”

The incident comes days after a similar hoax was reported at Santa Cruz High School last Thursday, and amid a nationwide string of similar hoax calls reported across the U.S. in recent weeks, according to numerous news reports.

The hoaxes are sometimes referred to as “swatting,” in which a 911 call is made to report a false but serious crime with the intent of drawing a very large police presence to a location.

This story was originally published November 1, 2022 at 11:29 AM.

Michael McGough
The Sacramento Bee
Michael McGough is a sports and local editor for The Sacramento Bee. He previously covered breaking news and COVID-19 for The Bee, which he joined in 2016. He is a Sacramento native and graduate of Sacramento State. 
Get one year of unlimited digital access for $159.99
#ReadLocal

Only 44¢ per day

SUBSCRIBE NOW