Crime

Kaiser Roseville shooting suspect, tied to Capitol shutdown, goes to court. Here’s what’s next

Jackson Pinney is appears in Placer Superior Court in Roseville on Monday on to face charges, including attempted murder, related to a two-city shooting spree last week.
Jackson Pinney is appears in Placer Superior Court in Roseville on Monday on to face charges, including attempted murder, related to a two-city shooting spree last week. snevis@sacbee.com

Jackson Adam Pinney, accused of threatening the state Capitol and firing at a Roseville hospital during a two-city shooting spree last week, will return Thursday to a Placer County courtroom on a host of charges including attempted murder.

Pinney appeared behind plexiglass at his first court appearance Monday, shackled at the waist and wrists as he listened to the charges against him from Placer Superior Court Judge Jeffrey S. Penney.

Pinney’s court-appointed attorney asked to push back arraignment to Thursday. Pinney will also be up for a bail review at the 8:30 a.m. hearing at Roseville’s Santucci Justice Center.

He remains held without bail pending the Thursday court date.

Placer County prosecutors are expected to protest any reduction in Pinney’s bail. Prosecutors read a letter from a witness to one of the shootings who requested a restraining order against the Bay Area man.

The witness said they feared for their life in those moments and described sparks spraying from the weapon allegedly fired by Pinney: “When I saw sparks coming from his gun, I thought my life was ending,” the letter read. “I have become paranoid and afraid to leave the house.”

Pinney, 30, of Hayward, faces allegations of attempted homicide, assault with a firearm, shooting from a moving vehicle and at an inhabited dwelling, and possession of a firearm by a felon in the April 12 spree.

The Bay Area man has been held in Placer County custody without bail since his April 13 arrest near Douglas Boulevard and Auburn-Folsom Road

Investigators said Pinney, a convicted felon and one-time Oakdale resident with crimes out of Alameda and Stanislaus counties, was behind the credible threat last Thursday that cleared the Capitol and sent the state Senate to an alternate location.

Police linked him to a series of shootings the previous night in Citrus Heights and Roseville that began at a Citrus Heights business near Auburn Boulevard and Twin Oaks Avenue.

The gunfire continued into Roseville, where police said Pinney shot rounds from his truck before taking aim at Kaiser Roseville Medical Center’s Women’s and Children’s Center on Douglas Boulevard.

No one was hurt in the shootings.

This story was originally published April 17, 2023 at 10:27 AM.

Darrell Smith
The Sacramento Bee
Darrell Smith is a local reporter for The Sacramento Bee. He joined The Bee in 2006 and previously worked at newspapers in Palm Springs, Colorado Springs and Marysville. Smith was born and raised at Beale Air Force Base and lives in Elk Grove.
Get one year of unlimited digital access for $159.99
#ReadLocal

Only 44¢ per day

SUBSCRIBE NOW