Crime

Man in Sacramento custody after fleeing to Mexico to avoid sex crimes charges

In the courts: Gavel silhouette

A man accused of sexually abusing four children in Sacramento over an eight-year span was scheduled to appear in court Monday after being extradited from Mexico, federal officials said.

Jose Luis Navarro, 40, fled the country after a Sacramento Superior Court judge issued a warrant for his arrest on more than 40 felony charges, including 38 counts of lewd acts on a child under 14 using force or violence and five counts of sex acts with a child under 10, according to the FBI.

The alleged abuse occurred in Sacramento between 2014 and 2022, authorities said.

A federal warrant was issued in 2023 after Navarro left the U.S. Mexican authorities apprehended him in March and extradited him earlier this month, according to the FBI.

“Today’s extradition sends a clear message,” Special Agent in Charge Sid Patel said in a news release. “If you run, we will find you.”

Navarro was booked into the Sacramento County Main Jail on Friday and was scheduled to make his first court appearance on Monday afternoon, jail records show.

Several agencies were involved in facilitating Navarro’s extradition, including the FBI, Interpol, and the U.S. Department of Justice, the news release said.

Sharon Bernstein
The Sacramento Bee
Sharon Bernstein is a senior reporter at The Sacramento Bee. She has reported and edited for news organizations across California, including the Los Angeles Times, Reuters and Cityside Journalism Initiative. She grew up in Dallas and earned her master’s degree in journalism from UC Berkeley. She has served on teams that have won three Pulitzer prizes.
Get one year of unlimited digital access for $159.99
#ReadLocal

Only 44¢ per day

SUBSCRIBE NOW