Crime

Sacramento police arrest man suspected in shooting at ABC10 TV station

Key Takeaways
Key Takeaways

AI-generated summary reviewed by our newsroom.

Read our AI Policy.


  • Police arrested Anibal Hernandezsantana as a suspect in Friday’s ABC 10 shooting.
  • He faces three felony charges, and his bail was set at $200,000.
  • A protest was held at the TV station the previous day on ABC’s suspension of “Jimmy Kimmel Live!”.

Investigators arrested a man suspected of shooting a window at the offices of broadcaster ABC10 on Friday in Sacramento, a local TV station where a protest the previous day denounced a network decision to take “Jimmy Kimmel Live!” off the air.

Anibal Hernandezsantana, 64, of Sacramento was arrested in connection with Friday’s shooting at the TV station in the 400 block of Broadway in Upper Land Park, Sacramento Police Department spokesperson Officer Anthony Gamble announced early Saturday.

Hernandezsantana was booked about midnight at the Sacramento County Main Jail. He faces three felony charges of firing a gun at an inhabited building, assault with a deadly weapon and firing a gun in a negligent manner, jail records show.

His bail amount was set at $200,000. Hernandezsantana was scheduled to appear for his arraignment hearing Tuesday afternoon in Sacramento Superior Court.

Sgt. Amar Gandhi, a Sacramento County Sheriff’s Office spokesperson, confirmed on Saturday afternoon that Hernandezsantana had since been released from jail custody after posting bail.

Gamble said the motive behind the shooting remained under investigation. He thanked the FBI for assisting in the shooting investigation.

Investigators were able to identify the suspect vehicle in the shooting, which led officers to a home in the 5400 block of Carlson Drive in Sacramento’s River Park neighborhood and Hernandezsantana’s arrest.

Three shots are visible in a window at the ABC10 offices in Upper Land Park on Friday, Sept. 19, 2025, in Sacramento. Police are investigating after gunfire struck the station one day after a protest over ABC’s suspension of “Jimmy Kimmel Live!” following remarks about the suspect charged in the murder of conservative activist Charlie Kirk.
Three shots are visible in a window at the ABC10 offices in Upper Land Park on Friday, Sept. 19, 2025, in Sacramento. Police are investigating after gunfire struck the station one day after a protest over ABC’s suspension of “Jimmy Kimmel Live!” following remarks about the suspect charged in the murder of conservative activist Charlie Kirk. Paul Kitagaki Jr. pkitagaki@sacbee.com

Police said no one was hurt in Friday’s shooting, and no protesters were outside the ABC10 station when the gunfire struck the building.

Officers found at least three gunshots into one of the building’s window. Gamble said there were people inside the building, but nobody was struck by gunfire.

Kimmel show controversy

On Thursday, about 15 people had joined the protest outside the ABC10 offices after ABC suspended Jimmy Kimmel’s late night show. “Jimmy Kimmel Live!” was taken off-air, following pressure from the Trump administration after remarks Kimmel made related to the slaying of conservative activist Charlie Kirk last week in Utah.

The ABC network, which is owned by Disney, was criticized this week for its decision to halt production of Kimmel’s late night show. On Wednesday, the network said the show would be “pre-empted indefinitely,” USA Today reported.

KXTV is owned by Tegna, a national chain of TV stations spun off by Gannett a decade ago. Nexstar Media Group, the owner of Fox 40 and nearly 200 stations coast to coast, recently announced it would acquire Tegna. The move would require FCC approval for the transfer of Tegna’s broadcasting licenses.

Nexstar voiced criticism of Kimmel following his Monday night monologue that included a joke about Kirk’s accused killer, as did Federal Communications Commission Chair Brendan Carr.

Carr, who was appointed to his role by President Donald Trump, told podcaster Benny Johnson about ABC’s need to correct course following Kimmel’s remarks.

“Frankly, when you see stuff like this — I mean, we can do this the easy way or the hard way,” Carr said on the podcast.

On Thursday, Democratic leaders in the U.S. House of Representatives expressed outrage over ABC’s decision to suspend the late night talk show, saying the FCC chair had “engaged in the corrupt abuse of power.”

This story was originally published September 20, 2025 at 9:47 AM.

Rosalio Ahumada
The Sacramento Bee
Rosalio Ahumada writes breaking news stories related to crime and public safety for The Sacramento Bee. He speaks Spanish fluently and has worked as a news reporter in the Central Valley since 2004.
Get one year of unlimited digital access for $159.99
#ReadLocal

Only 44¢ per day

SUBSCRIBE NOW