Crime

Man who shot down sheriff’s drone surrenders after Arden Arcade standoff

Police tape blocks entrance to a convenience store in San Luis Obispo County.

A man armed with a rifle surrendered to Sacramento County sheriff’s deputies late Wednesday morning after a standoff at an Arden Arcade home, officials said.

The incident began around 10 a.m. on the 2000 block of Kincaid Way, after deputies responded to reports the man had pointed a firearm at a neighbor. When deputies arrived and attempted to negotiate, the man refused to come out.

The man used a firearm to shoot down a police drone deployed during the standoff, according to the Sheriff’s Office. Deputies did not return fire, and no injuries were reported.

A sheriff’s SWAT team had established a command post nearby as the standoff continued. The man surrendered peacefully and was detained just before noon, authorities said.

Officials have not released the suspect’s name or details about potential charges.

This story was originally published October 15, 2025 at 11:54 AM.

Darrell Smith
The Sacramento Bee
Darrell Smith is a local reporter for The Sacramento Bee. He joined The Bee in 2006 and previously worked at newspapers in Palm Springs, Colorado Springs and Marysville. Smith was born and raised at Beale Air Force Base and lives in Elk Grove.
Get one year of unlimited digital access for $159.99
#ReadLocal

Only 44¢ per day

SUBSCRIBE NOW