Man sentenced for sexual assault of unconscious woman in Sacramento County
AI-generated summary reviewed by our newsroom.
- A judge on Jan. 15, 2026, sentenced Michael Ray Mayfield to 35 years to life in prison.
- Prosecutors said Mayfield sexually assaulted a woman who was unconscious.
- A jury convicted Mayfield in September.
A Sacramento Superior Court judge last week sentenced a man to 35 years to life in prison for sexually assaulting a woman while she was unconscious after the two had gone out together and had drinks, prosecutors said.
A jury on Sept. 11 found Michael Ray Mayfield, 65, guilty of sodomy of an unconscious person. On Friday , Judge Ernest Sawtelle sentenced Mayfield for the sexual assault, the Sacramento County District Attorney’s Office announced Tuesday in a news release.
In April 2021, Mayfield and the woman went out together and had some drinks. Prosecutors said she became very intoxicated and did not remember how she got home or how she got into bed.
She woke up the following morning with her clothes on inside out and her underwear wet. Prosecutors said she had a pain in multiple parts of her body.
The woman underwent a sexual assault exam. Prosecutors said the exam revealed Mayfield’s semen on her body and in her underwear.
Mayfield’s conviction included enhancements for aggravating factors in the sexual assault, along with previous convictions of committing a lewd act on a child younger than 14 years old and burglary, which are considered strikes under California’s “Three Strikes” law.
On Tuesday, Mayfield remained in custody at the Rio Cosumnes Correctional Center near Elk Grove where he awaits transfer to prison.