Crime - Sacto 911

Three people in custody after Rancho Cordova shooting

Sheriff’s officials said three people were in custody Thursday afternoon following a shooting in a Rancho Cordova neighborhood that prompted lockdowns at several schools.

Two of those in custody were taken to hospitals with injuries, said Sgt. Jason Ramos, Sacramento County sheriff’s spokesman.

Sheriff’s SWAT officers and negotiators responded to a report of someone firing a gun outside in the 2400 block Negrara Way.

Ramos said the first report of gunshots came about 2:15 p.m. That was followed by several additional calls reporting someone firing a machine gun. Ramos said there was no indication that the individual was firing at anyone.

Ramos said officers could hear gunshots coming from inside a residence when they arrived. It sounded like the shots came from two different types of guns, he said, so it was unclear whether one or more people were inside.

Shortly after officers arrived, one man, who deputies said was the initial shooter, was taken to a hospital. Ramos said he did not know whether the man had been shot. Another person was shot by an officer and hospitalized when the stand-off ended shortly before 4:30 p.m., Ramos said

He said the man who initially fired shots lived next door to the two other men, who came out of the neighboring residence with guns. As of Thursday evening, Ramos said, sheriff’s deputies were still trying to determine what prompted the shooting.

No information was available on the condition of the two injured people.

Daniel Thigpen, a spokesman for the Folsom Cordova Unified School District, said most of district schools north of Folsom Boulevard were locked down due to the police activity. Schools affected were Rancho Cordova, Peter J. Shields, Cordova Gardens and Williamson elementary schools; Riverview STEM Academy; and Mills and Mitchell middle schools. He said emergency notifications were sent to parents via automated phone calls.

Because Cordova High School was on an early release schedule Thursday, most students had left the campus before 2:15 p.m. Those who remained for after-school activities were placed on lockdown.