Crime - Sacto 911

No charges against former American River College student in alleged threat

The Truth for Kristofer Clark Facebook page had 606 members as of Tuesday evening.
The Truth for Kristofer Clark Facebook page had 606 members as of Tuesday evening. Facebook

A former American River College student arrested last week on suspicion of making a violent threat against the campus was released from jail Tuesday afternoon, with no charges filed against him.

After spending five days in jail, Kristofer Wayne Clark, 21, still does not know who accused him of making threats, said his attorney, Mark Reichel.

“This is the America you live in,” Reichel said. “He was arrested at work Thursday and he spent five nights in jail.”

Shelley Orio, spokeswoman for the Sacramento County District Attorney’s Office, said no charges were filed pending further investigation.

A hearing scheduled Tuesday for Clark was canceled, Orio said.

Clark was arrested Thursday on suspicion of making threats to commit a crime resulting in death or bodily injury.

Los Rios Community College District police said a student told an ARC staff member that Clark made a threat against the main campus. The threat came with the intention to carry it out Friday, according to a college news release.

District police then notified the Sacramento County Sheriff’s Department and officers from both agencies arrested Clark.

No specific person or group of people were mentioned in the alleged threat, according to the news release.

At the time, Los Rios police Chief Cheryl Sears called the arrest a “perfect example of the importance of all of us reporting concerns.”

After Clark’s release Tuesday, ARC President Thomas Greene released a statement saying, “Based on the information received at the time of the incident, the Los Rios Police believed the threat was credible and responded appropriately when they arrested Mr. Clark last Thursday evening. As recent incidents throughout the country have clearly shown, colleges must respond to any credible threat reported to law enforcement.”

Because no charges were filed, Reichel said he and his client have not had access to the police reports and might have to file suit to obtain them.

Bail was set at $250,000, Reichel said, and Clark’s family could not afford to post bond.

After his release Tuesday, Clark was looking forward to going home, Reichel said. He said Clark held two jobs and was unsure whether he was still employed after missing several days of work.

Reichel said he had never dealt with a case like this one.

“It’s a sign of the times,” he said, adding that people are hypersensitive because of recent campus violence and that a misconstrued comment or misunderstanding can lead to a situation such as Clark experienced.

A Facebook group, Truth for Kristofer Clark, was established to support Clark and as of Tuesday afternoon, more than 600 people had joined. One commenter stated that people “should be careful of what they say. But like in the case of Kris, we should be careful of what others say that we have said.”

Bill Lindelof: 916-321-1079, @Lindelofnews