A Sacramento County jury on Thursday convicted 47-year-old Dion Johnson Sr. of two counts of bank robbery involving banks in Elk Grove and the Arden Arcade area.
The jury also found that Johnson previously was convicted of assault with a deadly weapon and robbery, bringing him within the provisions of California’s Three Strikes law, according to a Sacramento County District Attorney’s Office news release.
Four other people previously entered pleas in the case.
On Sept. 6, 2011, three men entered First Bank on Howe Avenue and committed a take-over-style robbery, authorities said. Two of the men were dressed in security outfits. The other man wore coveralls and covered his mouth with a dust mask. The three men fled with more than $5,000. Johnson was linked to the robbery through phone records and his vehicle description.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Sacramento Bee
On Sept. 12, 2011, two men dressed in camouflage carried out the same type of robbery at the California Community Credit Union in Elk Grove and fled with approximately $18,000. Johnson was implicated in this robbery through phone records and witnesses who identified his vehicle in the area, authorities said.
Johnson is to be sentenced Jan. 23 before Sacramento Superior Court Judge Kevin McCormick.
According to Superior Court online records, no-contest pleas in the case were entered by Dion Johnson Jr., who was sentenced to four years in state prison; Donante Pridgett, three years and 8 months in prison; Edward James Broughton, 13years in prison; and Antoine Malbrough, who is to be sentenced Dec. 5.
Call The Bee’s Cathy Locke, (916) 321-5287.