Crime - Sacto 911

Three people displaced by two-alarm fire in south Sacramento County

Officials say an electrical fire caused an estimated $100,000 damage to a south Sacramento County home that triggered a two-alarm response Tuesday evening.

Sacramento Metropolitan Fire District crews were dispatched about 6 p.m. to the structure fire 7700 block of Victory Avenue, where children reportedly were trapped in a back bedroom of a home that was engulfed in flames. The report of children inside, however, proved to be false. The first unit on scene, a fire medic, began searching bedrooms by entering through windows, without a hose line, according to a fire district news release. Firefighters conducted multiple searches and found one dog, which was rescued unharmed from the home, officials said.

No one was injured. Fire officials said the Red Cross was called to assist three adults who were displaced because of damage to the the home.

The Victory Avenue fire was the third of three fires Sacramento Metro fire crews responded to in two hours.

Just after 4 p.m., they were dispatched to a structure fire in the 6500 block of Camino del Lago in Rancho Murieta. A large column of smoke was reported visible from a distance. Crews arrived to find the garage of large ranch-style home well involved with fire. The fire spread to a portion of the attic, but firefighters were able to keep it from spreading to the living quarters. The fire, which resulted in an estimated $50,000 in damage, was caused by a golf cart in the garage, according to the news release.

A short time later, a fire was reported at a home in the 2400 block of Gunn Road in Carmichael. Crews arrived to find a chimney fire and were able to quickly extinguish it, using minimal water, officials said. No one was injured, and damage was confined to the chimney.

Officials said the fires serve as a reminder of the need to keep homes fire safe. Chimneys, they said, should be cleaned at least once a year and electrical outlets should not be overloaded. Fire officials stressed the importance of using surge protectors and properly rated extension cords. They also remind people to make sure smoke alarms work and that they have two ways out of every room in the home.

Cathy Locke: 916-321-5287, @lockecathy

  Comments