Students at Caleb Greenwood elementary school in the River Park neighborhood of Sacramento are back in their classrooms after being evacuated to the multi-purpose room after the odor associated with a natural gas leak was detected.
Sacramento City Unified School District officials said that staff and students returned to school Monday morning to find the smell of gas. The problem was traced to a malfunctioning heater-air conditioning unit.
School staff immediately contacted authorities and brought all students to the multi-purpose room as a precaution. Pacific Gas & Electric and Sacramento Fire Department personnel informed staff that a full evacuation of the campus was not needed.
The fire department advised motorists at 8:30 a.m. Monday to avoid the area. The heating-cooling unit was shut off while the problem was fixed. School resumed at about 9:20 a.m.
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
The school sent a message to parents to update them on the situation.