A Yuba County man was arrested Thursday in connection with a fire in a commercial building in Grass Valley that authorities believe was caused by a butane honey oil lab.
The Grass Valley Fire Department and a battalion chief with the Nevada County Consolidated Fire Department were dispatched about 2:30 a.m. to an alarm activation at 125 Spring Hill Drive. While firefighters were en route, reports were received indicating that a commercial structure was on fire, according to a Grass Valley Police Department news release. Additional fire crews from agencies including the Nevada City Fire Department and Cal Fire were requested.
Firefighters forced entry to the building and were able to extinguish the fire, preventing significant damage to other units, police said. They also found indicators of a possible butane honey oil lab, and Grass Valley police, along with members of the Nevada County Sheriff Narcotics Task Force, responded to the scene.
Task force officers determined there was evidence of butane honey oil manufacturing, and detectives subsequently served two search warrants, one at the business and one at the residence of the business owner, Glenn Hoover, 50, of Yuba County.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
Hoover was arrested on suspicion of manufacturing a controlled substance and unlawfully causing a fire in a structure, according to police. He was booked into Nevada County Jail.
Police said it is believed that during the manufacturing process, butane honey oil was placed in a refrigerator. An explosion then occurred, causing the fire.
The business is believed to have been unoccupied at the time of the explosion and fire, police said. No one was injured, and no other businesses were displaced.