Firefighters who extinguished a North Highlands house fire early Thursday were also kept busy corralling more than a dozen dogs and several cats, too.
The fire broke out at a home in the 3400 block of I Street about 3:30 a.m. The fire damaged the garage and also spread into the attic before being brought under control by Sacramento Metropolitan Fire District firefighters.
Firefighters and the owner of the home, Tammy Murray, safely moved her furry pets outside, including 14 dogs and several cats. Unfortunately, a pet bird died in the blaze.
Murray, who has owned the house for 19 years, said she was awake when she heard a popping noise. She discovered the fire in the garage.
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
“The flames were shooting up the walls by the washer and dryer,” she said. “I tried to get the hose. I called the Fire Department.”
With the house filled with smoke, she first grabbed two of her older dogs. She was inside to get others when firefighters directed her out of the house. She pleaded that she wanted her dogs and firefighters were able to help.
“Two of them didn’t breathe,” she said. “Heidi and Baby were not breathing. They had her breathing again. I told them my cats were in there, too, in their cages.”
Firefighters also revived the cats, said Murray, who is on disability. It’s been a run of bad luck for Murray who recently had her pickup stolen.
However, she was glad that her cats and dogs made it out alive.
“I’m home with them 24/7,” she said. “If I lost one of them it would kill me.”