Crime - Sacto 911

Man convicted in woman’s bludgeoning death at Meadowview home

A man accused of fatally injuring a woman by hitting her in the head with a metal safe at her Meadowview home has been convicted of first-degree murder.

A Sacramento County jury on Monday also found that Matthew Drake, 30, used a deadly weapon in the death of 32-year-old Fallon Boroja, according to a Sacramento County District Attorney’s Office news release.

Drake and Boroja knew each other from when they previously lived in the same board and care home, authorities said. On April 22, 2014, Drake and Boroja ran into each other at a park. Later that afternoon, they returned to Boroja’s house on Matson Drive. The two reportedly kissed and hugged on the couch, then went into Boroja’s bedroom. A short time later, a housemate discovered Boroja’s body on her bedroom floor. Authorities said Boroja had been bludgeoned to death with a metal safe box.

Drake was arrested the next morning. He reportedly told a detective that Boroja attacked him with the safe and he defended himself. During the struggle, he said, the safe fell on her head. Drake said he believed Boroja was going to die as a result, so he hit her several times in the head so she would not suffer.

Drake has a prior strike conviction under California’s three-strikes law, according to the District Attorney’s Office. He is to be sentenced March 25 by Sacramento Superior Court Judge Delbert Oros.

Cathy Locke: 916-321-5287, @lockecathy

  Comments