An elderly man slumped over in a wheelchair was rescued Friday morning from a smoke-filled Citrus Heights duplex by Sacramento Metropolitan District firefighters.
Firefighters were dispatched to the duplex in the 6400 block of Tupelo Drive shortly before 8 a.m. While en route, crews were told there might be a man inside the residence.
Firefighters forced their way into the duplex and searched the interior where they found the man in his wheelchair. He was not alert because he was apparently suffering from smoke inhalation, said Metro Fire spokeswoman Capt. Michelle Eidam.
Firefighters took him onto the lawn and began treatment. Once outside and given oxygen he started to improve.
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
He was takento a hospital. He was the only person in the residence. A firefighter also suffered an injury.
The fire was contained to one side of the duplex. Estimated damage was $75,000. The cause is believed to be electrical.
Bill Lindelof: 916-321-1079, @Lindelofnews