Davis police report a series of door-kick burglaries that have occurred throughout the city during the past month, including two last weekend.
Such burglaries typically occur when the would-be intruder determines that residents are not home and then kicks in the front door to enter the house.
Police say the burglaries reported over the past month were similar in that the doors of all the homes involved were kicked in while the owners were out of town for one or more nights at a time, according to a Police Department news release. Items stolen included cash, jewelry and safes.
Police urge residents planning to be away from home to take precautions:
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Sacramento Bee
▪ Suspend mail and newspaper service during the absence.
▪ Don’t draw blinds or drapes. Leave the porch light on and leave the house so it appears occupied.
▪ Lock side gates and garages.
▪ Keep jewelry and firearms in a safe that is secured to the floor.
▪ Advise friendly neighbors of your absence.