Crime - Sacto 911

Heat lamp used to warm chicks blamed for Orangevale fire

A heat lamp used to warm chicks was blamed for a fire that damaged and Orangevale garage and killed six chicks.
A heat lamp used to warm chicks was blamed for a fire that damaged and Orangevale garage and killed six chicks. Photo courtesy Sacramento Metropolitan Fire District

Six baby chickens perished in an Orangevale garage fire that started with a heat lamp used to warm the chicks, fire officials said.

Sacramento Metropolitan Fire District crews went to a home in the 6200 block of Green Top Way about 3 p.m. Monday on a report of heavy smoke from the garage. The first engine crew began the fire attack.

Four additional engine crews, two trucks and one medic responded, containing the flames to the garage and protecting the living quarters, according to a Metro Fire news release. Damage was estimated at $25,000, and the estimated value of the property saved from damage was estimated at $250,000, fire officials said.

Damage was estimated at $25,000.

Officials said heat lamps can start a fire if knocked over or placed too close to anything combustible. Heat lamps, they said, should be secured so they cannot be knocked over, and smoke alarms should be installed in rooms where they are used.

Cathy Locke: 916-321-5287, @lockecathy

  Comments