Crime - Sacto 911

Yolo grand jury indicts six in fatal Davis club stabbing

Mayor Dan Wolk and the Davis City Council banned new or expanded nightclubs after a fatal stabbing at KetMoRee, behind him, last year.
Mayor Dan Wolk and the Davis City Council banned new or expanded nightclubs after a fatal stabbing at KetMoRee, behind him, last year. Sacramento Bee file

Yolo County grand jurors handed down a murder indictment against six men accused in the fatal stabbing of a Los Angeles-area college student at a Davis nightspot, setting the stage for trial in the killing.

Carlos Biviescas, Martyn Alex Contreras, Anthony Daniel Rivera, Joseph George Sandeno, Zackary Thomas Sandeno and Victor Manuel Vergara are scheduled to be arraigned Friday in Yolo Superior Court, accused of killing Peter Alexander Gonzales at KetMoRee on Davis’ G Street on Sept. 19.

The indictment was made public Monday.

The violent death of Gonzales, 23, a student at California State University, Dominguez Hills, in Carson who worked with special-needs children, prompted the city to ban new or expanded nightclubs that leaders have recently reconsidered. The Davis City Council passed an ordinance in April that lifted the moratorium and requires establishments to apply for entertainment permits. The new ordinance takes effect May 21, Police Chief Darren Pytel said.

The grand jury’s seven-page murder indictment against the six Vacaville men also accuses the group of killing Gonzales in service to a criminal street gang, and alleged Vergara was an active gang member at the time of the attack. The men also face allegations of assault causing great bodily injury, assault while in service to a gang, and participating in gang activity.

Rivera and Biviescas had recent criminal histories in Solano County before their arrests last year, according to the indictment.

Rivera faces an enhancement as a habitual criminal after his 2009 convictions for assault and participation in a criminal street gang. In April 2012, Biviescas was sentenced to state prison on an assault charge out of Solano Superior Court. Two years later, Biviescas was sentenced in Solano Superior Court on a drug charge in May 2014, little more than a year before the fatal KetMoRee incident. He was also charged with a count enhancement.

Before the announcement, a preliminary hearing in the case had been scheduled Monday in Yolo Superior Court before Judge David Rosenberg.

The Yolo County District Attorney’s Office had planned to move forward with a preliminary hearing, which determines whether prosecutors have enough evidence to proceed to trial, said Jonathan Raven, assistant chief deputy district attorney.

Raven said prosecutors expected that hearing to last about 15 days. Raven declined to discuss why the case was sent to the grand jury. Yolo County grand jury officials were unavailable for comment Monday.

Darrell Smith: 916-321-1040, @dvaughnsmith

  Comments