Crime - Sacto 911

Man barricaded in Oak Park residence surrenders; no injuries reported

A man who barricaded himself for several hours Saturday inside an Oak Park home surrendered to authorities about 7 p.m., the Sacramento Police Department reports.

Police had cordoned off several blocks of Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard on Saturday afternoon and into the evening after a man dressed in camouflage detonated two pipe bombs, including one thrown at police.

Officer Traci Trapani, police spokeswoman, said the incident began at 1:30 p.m. after officers received a report about an armed man in the neighborhood. She said the man “hurled a pipe bomb at the officers that detonated but caused no injuries.” He then fled inside a nearby home of four friends. No one was hurt in the blast, but officers, some armed with automatic weapons, descended on the scene in the 4000 block of Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard.

Trapani said the four friends fled at different times over several hours. She said it did not appear that he had been holding his friends as hostages before they fled.

Sacramento SWAT officers, FBI agents and officers from the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives were summoned to the scene as police hostage negotiators worked to resolved the standoff.

“Our primary focus is on the safety of the community and the safety of the suspect inside,” Trapani said before the man surrendered. “We are taking every precaution to keep the community safe and the steps we take are very methodical.”

Trapani said the man, who wasn’t identified, pointed a gun at officers before throwing the pipe bomb. She said he had separately detonated another pipe bomb. Bomb squad officers later retrieved the devices and determined they were no longer a threat.

Earlier in the afternoon, Marquisha Ward, 19, and her brother, Christian Wood, 11, were inside a townhouse on the boulevard when she said she heard a loud shot.

“Thirty seconds later, a lot of police came. I don’t even know what it is. Oh God, this is crazy.”

Her friend, Joshua Robinson, who was also in townhouse, said he dove to the floor when heard a loud noise he thought was a gunshot. He believed the gunman was in a residence next door.

“We were hiding in the house and the police told us not to come out,” Robinson said. “Then they told us to run away from here.”

Ward, Robinson and Wood ran outside the residence and ducked under police tape two blocks away as they fled the area.

Christian was perplexed by the disruption.

“I was playing Pokemon, and all of a sudden I had to leave the house and run away from my laptop,” he said.