Jurors in Sacramento Superior Court convicted two suspects in a gang-related killing that was the culmination of a multi-day crime spree in January 2013, the Sacramento County District Attorney’s office announced Friday.
It began on Jan. 12, 2013, when defendant Anthony Valles, 17, robbed three teenage boys of their iPhones in the Valley Hi area of south Sacramento, according to prosecutors. Two days later, someone stole a white Toyota minivan from the Lemon Hill neighborhood. On Jan. 16, defendant Michael Williams, 18, aimed the van at a department-store security guard to help his friends escape with stolen merchandise, the prosecutor’s office said in a news release.
The next day Valles yelled out gang slurs at Anthony Navarro, and the defendants chased after Navarro in the stolen minivan. Williams shot and killed Navarro as the van turned onto 39th Street in Sacramento’s Oak Park neighborhood, prosecutors said.
After a trial that started earlier this month, jurors convicted Williams of first-degree murder and assault with a deadly weapon. They convicted Valles of second-degree murder and three counts of armed robbery. Williams and Valles are scheduled to be sentenced March 6.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Sacramento Bee